Wednesday, February 08, 2006

And the GRAMMY® for Mutual Media Masturbation goes to....

Wow! Paul McCartney! U2! Paul McCartney, and...U2! I'm sorry, but I thought U2 were cool about 400 years ago when they were angry and Bono didn't have a God Complex about single-handedly saving the world. Sir Paul, we love you, and we'll still love you in a few months when you turn 64, but is all the hype really justified? I'll be honest, I've heard most of McCartney's new album and not much of any U2 album since The Joshua Tree and can't say that I'm too impressed with any of it. In my humble opinion, the simple fact is that the hint of a new album from U2, Paul McCartney, Aerosmith (who's playing onstage, for some reason, at the moment) and other very talented but musically-irrelevant groups and individuals mean big $$$$$ to the recording industry. The fact that the little Rolling Stone GRAMMY® guidebook did not include such categories as Best Rock Instrumental and Best Spoken Word albums should inform you as to where the media's and the industry's hearts are at. Clark Kent's girlfriend (whose real name I can't remember, but she's on Desperate Housewives now) is presenting an award? She has what, exactly, tie to the music business?
To anyone who was nominated but didn't receive an award, I say, congratulations--your record sales may not increase when compared to those of a winner, but you can rest assured that your musical integrity, especially from the perspective of your fans, is probably intact.

3 Comments:

Blogger Momo said...

OK - I enjoyed the Grammys. At least parts of it. I know you're a music fan (along with me). I don't see the big deal about Paul McCartney either - I know he's a legend and I respect him for that. His music was easy to listen to and he's a pleasant person - but I'm just not from that era I guess...

And I abosolutely LOVED seeing U2 and Mary J. Blige perform "One" together. It brought tears to my eyes.

I wish I could (and maybe I should) do a whole Grammy review. I was sitting on the couch watching and wishing that I had a laptop and I could record all the thoughts I was having as I watched it. Like one of those columnists or something.

8:49 AM  
Blogger BTL68 said...

Terri Hatcher is who you are thinking of there...The other crap you spewed went in one eyeball and out the other...

10:17 PM  
Blogger Woof said...

Thanks for your constructive criticism, btl68. What is that, by the way--1" short of being a btl69?

(You had to expect that from me at some point...may as well get it out of the way right now.)

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home