Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Proposed Oklahama anti-war protest ban...

I was watching the local Oklahoma City news this morning when it was mentioned that the OK legislature is considering banning anti-war activists from protesting at the funerals for Oklahoma military personnel killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. Footage of a small group of protesters across the street from a funeral home where services were being held was shown, and the newscaster said over the footage that the ban was intended to keep "scenes like this one from occurring again."

My first thought was, "O.K., this is a red state...," but a few milliseconds later I understood what the legislature is trying to accomplish. I've been known to stand on a few streetcorners in protest myself, but these are FUNERALS, people! My first thought, on losing someone I loved and cared about to war--unjustified or not--would probably not be, "Hmm, how can I join (insert name of local anti-war group here)?"

Show a little decorum, folks. And lest you become blinded by visions of marching a war widow or mother of a fallen military person up the White House steps, think about how well that's worked for Cindy Sheehan. No one in the Bush administration cares about their loss.

2 Comments:

Blogger Momo said...

I absolutely agree - it would be incredibly insensitive to protest at a funeral.

And it's disturbing how they have made Cindy Sheehan out to be some kind of nut. She lost her child. She's doing what she can - about what she feels strongly about.

8:57 AM  
Blogger ilaiy said...

Heard Cindy Sheehan is planning to stand for Senate ..

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,183108,00.html

./thanks
ilaiy

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home