Sunday, May 14, 2006

Shameless plug...

What do you get when you combine cream, strawberries, sugar, skim milk, and egg yolks? If you're in the majority of supermarket ice cream providers, you end up with a good "base" from which to create strawberry ice cream. If you're Häagen-Dazs®, on the other hand, you end up with...well, Häagen-Dazs® strawberry ice cream. One could argue that it's missing a tasty white rum, whipped cream, and a hot summer's day pool to enjoy it by, but it's pretty delicious as is.

If you look on the back of a Häagen-Dazs® pint container, you won't find ingredients listed such as mono- and diglycerides, polysorbate-60, acetone, rattus norvegicus, or any other chemical, fusion reactor byproduct, or circus animal derivative not normally associated with ice cream or its enjoyment. If there is a drawback to Häagen-Dazs®, it's that it does seem quite a bit more expensive per unit than other supermarket brands. I would assume it to be more costly to boil a hoof down to a diglyceride than to get another squirt of pre-cream from a cow's teat, but what do I know?

Do I believe that I'm shortening my lifespan by occasionally partaking of this wholesome, natural treat? Nah. At the very least, by eating these natural ice creams (I'd include Ben & Jerry's in this short list if I liked their flavors) I, and you, will make those in the funeral industry earn their exhorbitant fees by forcing them to actually use the expensive chemicals they claim to use during the preservation process. Years ago, I read that due to the inclusion of preservatives into just about every packaged food that we buy, the average body can sit in the sun for 30 days or so before decomposition sets in (I could be wrong on that figure; whatever, it's considerably longer today than it was in the 1940's). A not insignificant side benefit of eating more organic ice creams will be the lessening of our dependence on petrochemical byproducts, leading to a reduction in our dependence on foreign oil.

(Geez...how did my happy ice-creamed filled thoughts turn so negative, so quickly?)

Just remember to eat plenty of real butter, as many organically-grown and fattened foods as you can afford, and lots of Häagen-Dazs® ice cream!

3 Comments:

Blogger Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Heh heh heh heh you said "teat." heh heh

Can I may have some banana delight on my strawberry ice cream? Thank you.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Woof said...

Banana delght? Sure! Let's talk about how "good" for you that treat is.

"Breast" sounded too clinical; "mammalian protuberance" too wordy.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Woof said...

Er..."delight" (I just re-woke up).

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home