Sunday, May 14, 2006

Illinois Compiled Statutes lesson...

Most who know me are probably aware that a huge pet peeve of mine is the inconsideration of drivers shown towards others on the road. My wife would testify that I've been guilty of this in the past, myself; however, riding a motorcycle has instilled in my an almost Zen-like calm. Knowing that a bike won't win in a vehicular fight, coupled with the anticipation that people are bound to do stupid things in vehicles, has defitely made me a calmer, safer rider and driver.

I'll admit to a slightly unsafe attitude towards speeding. I'm not a racer-boy, dicing through city streets on the back wheel, but I do use the speed cushion of my bike as part of a (and I'm sure this is arguable) self-preservation technique. Zipping past trucks on the interstate minimizes my exposure to blown retreads; zipping past everyone else minimizes my exposure to the average cel phone-talking, Big Mac-stuffing, inattentive driver. I've been chided by a coworker for signaling a turn into a parking spot in a lot; you can bet that I (at least) always let those around me know my intentions.

Habits that are certain to piss me off, and that I chock up to the me-first mentality are (but are not limited to) the following: people who don't signal (or don't signal correctly); people who don't turn into the nearest legal lane after proceeding through an intersection; people who block traffic in the left lane; and people who drive with their lights off in the rain. The Illinois Compiled Statutes covers each of these infractions:

Turn signals. "A signal of intention to turn right or left when required must be given continuously during not less than the last 100 feet traveled by the vehicle before turning within a business or residence district, and such signal must be given continuously during not less than the last 200 feet traveled by the vehicle before turning outside a business or residence district. No person may stop or suddenly decrease the speed of a vehicle without first giving an appropriate signal in the manner provided in this Chapter to the driver of any vehicle immediately to the rear when there is opportunity to give such a signal." Also, from the "Rules Of The Road," "When moving your vehicle from the right-hand lane to the left-hand lane, turn your head to check traffic behind you and on your left. Give the left turn signal, then carefully move into the left lane. When moving your vehicle from the left-hand lane to the right-hand lane, turn your head to check traffic behind you and on your right. Give the right turn signal, then carefully move into the right lane.

Turning into the nearest legal lane. "The driver of a vehicle intending to turn left at any intersection shall approach the intersection in the extreme left‑hand lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the direction of travel of such vehicle, and after entering the intersection, the left turn shall be made so as to leave the intersection in a lane lawfully available to traffic moving in such direction upon the roadway being entered. Whenever practicable the left turn shall be made in that portion of the intersection to the left of the center of the intersection."

Blocking the right lane on an interstate. "Upon an Interstate highway or fully access controlled freeway, a vehicle may not be driven in the left lane, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle." This does not apply "when no other vehicle is directly behind the vehicle in the left lane."

Headlight use during periods of precipitation. "All other motor vehicles (except motorcycles) shall exhibit at least 2 lighted head lamps, with at least one on each side of the front of the vehicle, which satisfy United States Department of Transportation requirements, showing white lights, including that emitted by high intensity discharge (HID) lamps, or lights of a yellow or amber tint, during the period from sunset to sunrise, at times when rain, snow, fog, or other atmospheric conditions require the use of windshield wipers, and at any other times when, due to insufficient light or unfavorable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 1000 feet. Parking lamps may be used in addition to but not in lieu of such head lamps." I don't care if you can see the roadway in the rain. When your rooster tail blends in with heavy precipitation, it concerns me.

Let's be considerate out there, o.k.? And please--keep an eye out for motorcyclists.

2 Comments:

Blogger Momo said...

A lot of your driving pet peeves sound a whole lot like your wife:

"the average cel phone-talking, Big Mac-stuffing, inattentive driver..."

Really. That's me!!

(Except I like Quarter Pounders.)

7:22 AM  
Blogger Woof said...

If I could ride with one hand, I'd be stuffin' the Double Chee's...

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home